• November 4Check us out on Twitter @TheArrowAppeal

• August 27Purchase your yearbook. Look for the Yearbook Table in the Commons During Lunch

• August 25Story Idea? Comment? News Tip? Contact us at [email protected]

The Student News Site of Clinton High School

The Arrow Appeal

Thanksgiving Traditions from The Arrow Appeal, Part 2

File Photo

(Editor’s Note: This is part two of a three part series where The Arrow Appeal staff talks about what types of traditions are present in their own family.)

Parker Galloway, Entertainment Editor

My Thanksgiving traditions are split between the two sides of my family as one is Cajun French and the other is Italian. Both however center around the elders of the family being my great grandparents.

On my mom’s side we meet at my grandmothers house for a thanksgiving lunch consisting of lasagna, turkey and ham. All of my uncles and cousins come along with my great grandmother Agatha.

On my fathers side of the family, things are much more Cajun. We have a Thanksgiving turkey gumbo with jambalaya and a regular turkey.

This gathering is centered around my great-grandmother and great-grandfather. It is attended by a plethora of cousins who all live on the same street.

Sheridan Johnson, Staff Writer

My Thanksgiving tradition includes my entire mom’s side of the family going over to my aunt’s house. My aunt will cook the same foods: turkey, ham, green beans, Velveeta mac n’ cheese, cornbread, pumpkin pie, and chocolate cake.

Part of the tradition is having specifically Velveeta mac n’ cheese because everyone loves the shells from it instead of the noodles from the other kinds of mac n’ cheese.

The pecan pie my cousin bakes somehow always ends up burnt. No matter how many years she bakes it, the pie will always be burnt. Also, everyone usually sits in the same spots to eat their food.

My cousins and I sit on the floor at the coffee table,  while my parents and aunts sit in recliners of couches. There is usually a football game to watch that day, so we usually all end up watching it. If there are teams we don’t care about, we will end up watching a Christmas movie. After we eat, we all take family pictures.

We use my mom’s fancy camera, and all take pictures with each other. Of course my dad always tries to find a way out of it, but he is never successful in trying to escape.

Joseph Mason, Staff Writer

Every year during thanksgiving, my family and I go to my grandma house every year.

It only takes 1hour drive just to get their, she lives in Carthage, MS. We mostly drive in the truck so we can put the food in the back of the seat. Soon we get their my uncle, my dad, and my big cousin started grilling outside. My mom and my aunt cook in the house. While they cooking me and my cousin play football, basketball, and baseball until the food is done. We play with our little cousins too.

So when we get done eating, we eat a cake that is made for my Grandma, and it is very delicious. Once we finish eating everyone would go outside and play a game that we play every year. Sometimes we play hide and seek at in the dark during night times. Or we play video games in the house just for fun. My uncle tell stories about what he did when he was little, he tell my sisters and my little cousins scary things. Also he tells thankful stories during thanksgiving day.

Before everyone leaves we have to clean up the house that we made a mess in like trash, we throw them in the garbage. Once we get done for the day my dad would get the turkeys that is leftover and put it in the truck, so we can eat it later. Before we leave our grandma house to go home we hug my grandma, our cousins, aunt, and uncles. Thanksgiving is to thank everyone for what they’ve done for you. Thanksgiving is a blessing holiday, everyone spend time together and enjoy themselves. Its to have fun, tell stories, and play games.

Ashley Omerza, Staff Writer

On Thanksgiving, my family doesn’t do much nowadays. When I was younger, my whole family used to go to my grandparent’s house around lunchtime. My parents, my siblings, my aunts, uncles, and cousins; it was everyone. We used to sit in my grandparent’s dining room, all of us around the table, crowded together.

My grandpa would say grace and we’d stuff our faces full of good food. We ate turkey, peas, mashed potatoes, dressing, rolls, and so much more. After we ate, we could lounge around the house, catching up with each other.

I used to love hearing my relatives tell stories of their younger days in the ’60s and ’70s, back in Michigan. Around dinnertime, everyone would go to someone else’s house, usually my own. We would sit in my dining room and play Bingo, winning prizes from the dollar store. It was the best of times and we couldn’t wait to see each other at Christmastime.

Now, it’s just my family who celebrates Thanksgiving at our house for lunch.

My grandparents are no longer around, and I don’t see my other relatives until Christmastime. Our Thanksgiving tradition has slowly died out, but it’s good to have a break before seeing everyone at Christmas, my favorite time of the year.