• November 4Check us out on Twitter @TheArrowAppeal

• August 27Purchase your yearbook. Look for the Yearbook Table in the Commons During Lunch

• August 25Story Idea? Comment? News Tip? Contact us at [email protected]

The Arrow Appeal

COLUMN: ‘The Youth Media Project’ Student Summer Internship Offers Opportunity for Students to Develop Professional and Communication Skills

Back to Article
Back to Article

Imani Khayyam (Special to The Arrow Appeal)

Josh Wright, Digital Media Editor

(The following column was written by The Arrow Appeal Digital Media Editor, Josh Wright. Wright, a CHS Junior, is a two year member of The Youth Media Project)

Two Fridays ago, some colleagues of mine and I got the honor of eating dinner and hanging out with the Mayor of Jackson, Chokwe Lumumba Jr. and actor and rapper Ludacris.

It was very exciting to meet “Luda” as many fans call him. We ate, talked, and took pictures at the Iron Horse Grill. Afterwards, we went to the Jackson Rhythm and Blues Festival where we hung out backstage and witnessed Ludacris electrify the crowd with his performance.

I got this amazing opportunity through a summer internship I’ve participated in the last two years called The Youth Media Project. The Youth Media Project, run by Jackson Free Press Editor and CEO Donna Ladd, is a summer internship for students ages 14 through 18.

At the Youth Media Project, participants learn about workplace professionalism such how to act and dress in a professional setting. Participants also develop journalism skills such as writing, podcasting, photography and videography. Through these various media forms, many topics such as crime and education pertaining to teenagers are covered.

During the program, my colleagues and I were able to meet many people such as community activists, government officials, business owners and journalists. We also interacted with the public—a lot. We went out and covered many community functions as well.

The Youth Media Project is looking for participants from a variety of schools and cultural diversity. Although the program is lots of fun, this is not a program for people who don’t want to work a lot or have to miss a lot of days. Participants also must be serious, have a great attitude, and be ready to produce good work.

As Donna Ladd says, you have “finish strong” and have to work to “get through to the end.”

“The Youth Media Project’s goal is to show narrative change and that young people can do great things,” said Ladd.

For people interested in participating, there is an online form and information at youthmediaproject.com.

Youth Media Project work is on jxnpulse.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “COLUMN: ‘The Youth Media Project’ Student Summer Internship Offers Opportunity for Students to Develop Professional and Communication Skills”

1. Venetia on August 30th, 2017 7:41 pm

EXCELLENT article! Very well written!

2. Karen Buford on August 30th, 2017 8:42 pm

Sounds like a wonderful program.
    Keep up the great work

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• COLUMN: ‘The Youth Media Project’ Student Summer Internship Offers Opportunity for Students to Develop Professional and Communication Skills

Opinion

COLUMN: Questions Concerning the Future of the College Football Playoff System

Opinion

Lessons from Linus

Opinion

Thanksgiving Traditions from The Arrow Appeal, Part 3

Opinion

Thanksgiving Traditions from The Arrow Appeal, Part 2

Opinion

Thanksgiving Traditions from The Arrow Appeal, Part 1

Opinion

Which Club Should You Join? We May be Able to Help

News

CHS Celebrates Class of 2018

Student Life

Seniors Prepare for Final Week at Clinton High School

News

CHS Enters State Testing Season

Student Life

Last Minute Prom Attire Advice for the Guys

The Student News Site of Clinton High School